I don’t know all the strict rules of the “Paleo Diet” But from what I have heard peanut butter is generally a ” no-no” but almond butter is in. Something about a peanut actually being a legume and not a real nut. Like the almond. So for the non peanut eating people that wanted to try the peanut butter cookies I made but couldn’t, here is my almond version with an extra added bonus of a coconut milk ganache, which by the way – is killer
A nice thick layer of ganache too. These are a softer cookie, almost cake like, similar to the peanut butter cookies, but the batter was a touch thicker, so I added in a little almond milk – and it was a good idea because I really liked how these came out.
I hadn’t even planned on adding in the toasted coconut, but I had some leftover from my Tropical Scallop Salad, so I decided to top a couple of the cookies with it, and I liked how they looked – and tasted with it. So there ya go. The Paleo Almond Joy Cookie was born, at least my version of it.
For the ganache, I used this new brand of coconut milk (new to me) that I just love. I actually found out about it from the blog, Against All Grain, and bought it off Amazon. Its so much better than any other canned variety plus its organic. There is a THICK layer of cream when you open the can – as there should be. And I also have been wanting to try these Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, they are soy, nut and dairy free. And really good! These made for a really good thick chocolate icing for these cookies, so you may see this again in future recipes. Actually, I can guarantee it , I mean chocolate AND coconut? Hello..
- 1 c organic creamy almond butter, well stirred
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅔ c honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 C coconut flour **
- ¼ c almond milk
- Pinch salt
- Coconut Milk Ganache:
- 1 15oz can full fat Coconut milk
- 16 oz of Enjoy Life Mega Chocolate Chunks ( about 1 ½ bags)
- Toasted coconut chips (unsweetened) for topping
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare cookie sheets with either parchment paper or silicone bake mats/
- Combine the coconut oil and almond butter and honey in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds and if melted, stir again and let cool to room temperature.
- Combine the coconut flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Mix the peanut butter mixture until creamy, either with a hand mixer or stand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Add the vanilla and mix again. Add in the flour and mix until just combined. Add in the almond milk and mix again.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out a heaping tablespoon amount and roll into 1½” balls, place on cookie sheet 2” apart and press gently with hand to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 min, just until the edges start to brown. Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the Ganache
- Place the enjoy life chocolate chips in a glass or stainless steel bowl. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the coconut milk to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate chips but don’t stir for a 5 minutes. After 5 minutes gently stir until the mixture is fully combined until smooth, about 2-3 min. Let cool to room temperature and thickened. Either spoon some ganache on top of the cookies or dip the tops in. Sprinkle the tops with some of the toasted coconut immediately. Let cool completely to let the ganache firm up.
I gave a bag of these to my friends Jen and Dave to sample and they loved them. I love having tons of friends as my official taste testers. Its a win-win situation.