At first I was afraid thinking if I placed pizza dough directly on the grill it would fall through and make a giant mess. Not true!! Grilling pizza couldn’t be easier and I have come up with 4 different Mediterranean grilled pizzas for your today with ideas for many more. This post is sponsored by Cost Plus World Market.
With summer fast approaching grilling season is just about here, or here already if you are lucky enough to live somewhere it’s already been warm for a while. I am a big fan of cooking outdoors – take the heat outside instead of heating up the house, and eating out on the back patio is something my family looks forward to every year. I always stock up on outdoor entertaining and grilling products at world market every year because they come out with the neatest stuff every summer. I would live an endless summer if I could, hanging out side grilling all my meals. Lots of popsicle consumption too.
When World Market asked me to make a grilling recipe for their Summer Sweepstakes promotion I knew I wanted to make grilled pizza. You can either use premade dough and us the grill to crisp up the dough and heat the toppings and melt the cheese or use your favorite pizza dough recipe. I love the one from America’s Test Kitchen – it comes out perfectly every time. I got the idea for Mediterranean grilled pizzas from all the wonderful ingredients World Market has such as different pestos, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and so on. I figured these would be awesome ingredients for several different pizzas.
For those of you who are new to grilling pizzas you can always use a pizza pan that is meant for the grill, or even a pizza stone. Either work great. I have no issues with just placing the dough right on the grates, It really works nicely, just make sure the grill is preheated well and seasoned.
My trick to grilled pizza is par cooking the dough. I made my dough recipe and rolled out 4 ounce balls into 8″ pizzas for personal sized pizzas. My 4 year old helped and she rolled a couple into heart shapes, of course. Once the doughs are rolled out I lightly brush with a little olive oil and grill for about 2 min each side. Then add toppings and grill again until more golden, the toppings are heated and the cheese has melted.
Here are four variations of pizzas I came up with but really the possibilities are endless. Grilled pizzas are great for a party too. You can par-bake the doughs ahead of time, freeze then thaw when ready for grilling. Set up a buffet with the ready to go doughs, different topping options and a variety of cheeses so guests can build their pizzas the way they like.
The four pizzas I made here are: 1. A greek salad pizza with olive oil, chunky tomato sauce, kalamata olives, peperoncinis, roasted red pepper strips, marinated artichoke hearts, thinly sliced red onion, sea salt and pepper, basil and oregano and crumbled feta with just a little shredded mozzarella
2. Artichoke Pesto with artichoke pesto spread on for the sauce, artichoke hearts, thinly sliced red onion, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella – ciliegini and shredded, basil, oregano, salt and pepper
3. Pesto with strips of prosciutto ( that got crispy when grilled), roasted red bell pepper strips, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, crumbled goat cheese and parmesan cheese.
4. Red Artichoke Pesto pizza with an artichoke piquillo pepper spread for the sauce, artichoke hearts, thinly sliced red onion, kalamata olives, red chile flakes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, basil, oregano and parmesan.
So you see the topping combinations are endless with these Mediterranean grilled pizzas – the toughest part is choosing which one to eat!!
- Personal size Pizza crust or doughs - pre made or your favorite recipe
- Olive oil
- sun dried tomatoes
- marinated artichoke hearts
- kalamata olives - or black olives
- pepperoncini slices
- roasted red bell pepper slices
- red onion - thinly sliced
- pine nuts
- tomato sauce
- feta cheese
- crumbled goat cheese
- mozzarella cheese - shredded
- fresh mozzarella - ciliegine, Bocconcini
- parmesan cheese
- preheat grill to 500 Deg F
- Brush both sides of pizza doughs lightly with some olive oil. Grill each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove from grill, add sauce, pesto, toppings and cheese. Return to grill and cook another 5-6 min until the crust is starting to brown and toppings are hot and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
If you like sun dried tomatoes chewier slice as is, or you can soak in hot water for 10 minutes to soften then dice
I couldn’t decide which to eat so I had a slice of each!
All the foods ( besides the pizza dough, fresh basil and fresh cheeses) in these grilled pizza recipes are from World Market. I love the wide selection of foods in their International Favorites section because it was one stop shopping for all the toppings. The Cucina & Amore pestos are by far the best pestos I have ever had. I loved them on the pizzas and I know they would be amazing in pasta as well. The Mezzetta brand of olives and peppers are so good too – I use them often on salads and now on grilled pizzas.