If you drink only one fruity beverage this summer, this Mango Pineapple Agua Fresca should be it.
This refreshing beverage is super easy to make and it is something I crave during the hot summer months.
This agua fresca recipe is non-alcoholic so my kids can enjoy it as well. I will tell you, however, that it is tasty as a cocktail with vodka, rum or tequila...
I have never really been a big fan of drinking juice as is because of how sweet they are so I have always watered them down or added mineral/sparkling water to them for a slightly less sweet taste and added fizz.
When I first discovered agua fresca years and years ago at the Fiesta celebration in the town I grew up in, I fell in love. Light, fruity and not too sweet. My kind of drink.
The flavor combinations are endless and many times its a solitary fruit that makes up the agua fresca, pineapple agua fresca is my fave but adding in mango takes in to a whole new level of deliciousness.
I love doing a combo of two or three fruits and some lime juice to add that hint of sour.
I love using strawberries too. Agua fresca is traditionally made with adding in granulated sugar to the drink. This is my version of the beverage with using a little simple syrup rather than adding in granulated sugar to the mixture. Either way works.
I prefer drinks on the lighter side of sweet so I will usually wait until the end of making the recipe to add a little sweetener in, if needed.
It really depends on the ripeness and sweetness of the fruits I use. I always have a jar of simple syrup on hand for sweetening drinks. You can adjust the sweetness to however you like it.
I always make a big batch of agua fresca to last me a week. I will fill up a big glass or jar and sometimes top with fizzy water if I am feeling fancy that day.
I am not a soda drinker at all but I still love a little fizz, and I love how many options there are now for flavored, no sweetened sparkling waters there are these days. Hello La Croix! ha ha
Often times when I make a batch of mango pineapple agua fresca, or any flavor combination, I will make popsicles out of some of it. Just fill molds and freeze.
Easy peasy and just as refreshing and delicious. Pretty sure I have about 10 different flavors of popsicles in my freezer right now. My kids love them as much as I do and we eat about 2-3 a day in summer.
Summertime is the best. I would live an endless summer if I could. For endless agua fresca and popsicles.
A few notes about this mango pineapple agua fresca recipe first:
- You can puree the juice all the way or leave some larger chunks of the fruit in the agua fresca. However you like it - there is no wrong way!
- Adjust sweetness to your liking, the riper the fruit you use the less sugar or simple syrup you will need.
- You can make this in large batches, just don't add ice until ready to drink or else you will water it down a lot
- Feel free to use any combination of fruits that you like or add in whatever is seasonal.
- This also makes for amazing popsicles, add to your favorite popsicle molds, add in sticks and freeze.
- This drink is non-alcoholic, but you can add in vodka, rum or tequila for a refreshing adult beverage.
- 1 medium pineapple, peeled, cored and diced - about 4 cups
- 3 large mangoes, peeled, sliced, pit removed, about 3 cups
- 4 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Place the pineapple and mango in a blender with 2 cups of water and blend well.
- Strain into a large bowl or pitcher and add the rest of the water. Stir in the lime juice then add simple syrup to desired sweetness. Add more water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Chill completely before serving. Keeps well chilled up to a week in the refrigerator. Makes awesome popsicles too.