I know. Its a fall recipe and I am standing firm with it still being summer but you will love this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. I promise.
Its September and school has already been in session for over a week now so I can post a soup recipe without going too much against my self-imposed rule of no fall recipes until its technically fall. Plus the slow cooker does wonders when it comes to saving time and still making healthy family recipes during the school week. I made one of my faves, but a slightly different variation than normal with a few time saving ingredients. This post is sponsored by Cost Plus World Market for which I am a brand ambassador for. You know they are my favorite store.
I am one of those people that can eat soup year round so I don’t really consider this a seasonal recipe per-se, but soups tend to be more popular in the fall and especially winter. It doesn’t really feel like fall here in Vegas until late November, it’s hard to think about jeans and sweaters and such when it was 103 deg F today!! HOT.
BUT since most of the country is starting to have slightly cooler weather, I figured I would make a more fall-ish recipe since I made a more summery one earlier this week. Balance right?
Normally I am a 100% from scratch kind of gal, and I rarely use mixes for anything, not my style, but the soup mixes from World Market are decent and helps save on time. We like time savers during busy school weeks around here. And not everyone can cook 100% from scratch during busy weeks. So this is where semi-homemade and the slow cooker comes in handy. Plus making a double batch to save half to freeze makes for even easier and faster meals in the future. Just thaw, heat and eat!
I took a few process steps of my soup. I layered in the ingredients and topped with water. Since this soup mix comes with a dehydrated chicken stock base no need for more chicken stock. Usually I replace water with chicken stock in soup recipes but this one doesn’t need it.
The best part of this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is all the toppings. Every time we go out for Mexican food I always order the tortilla soup to see how they make and garnish it. My kids love chicken tortilla soup as well, although they call it “chip soup” because of the amount of chips they like to add to it. I have had brothier chicken tortilla soups and thicker. I prefer inbetween which is what this soup is.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 container Pomi chopped tomatoes ( 26 ounces)
- 2 packages of Market Classics Spicy Tortilla Soup mix
- 12 cups water
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- Green onion, diced
- Shredded cheese ( Jack, Cheddar, Manchego etc)
- Tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- Hot sauce ( such as Cholula)
- Pour the tomatoes into the slow cooker. In a sauce pan over medium high heat, heat up the oil. Sear the chicken breasts, 1 minute each side. Place the chicken in the slow cooker on top of the tomatoes. Add in the soup mix according to package directions and top off with the water. Set on low 6 hours. After 4 hours check the chicken. If the chicken is close to done, remove and shred. If not check every 20 min until done and then shred. Remove 4 cups of soup and puree then add back into the slow cooker and add the shredded chicken as well, add in the red peppers, and cook on low another hour. Keep warm until serving.
- When ready to serve top each bowl with a few tablespoons of shredded cheese, a few sprigs of cilantro, some avocado slices, a sprinkling of green onion, a handful of chip pieces, a squeeze of lime and a few drops of hot sauce if desired.
Cost Plus World Market Items used in this post:
Dishes and props:
Yummy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. For when you want a fall comfort meal without turning on the oven or using the stove. This helps me when its still 100 deg out, no heating up the inside of my house too!
Thanks to Cost Plus World Market for sponsoring this post.