Vegetable Loaded Avocado Egg Salad. I love egg salad and this is my absolute favorite version of egg salad with the addition of creamy avocado and loaded with veggies.
Once in a while I will boil a dozen eggs to use throughout the week to add into meals such as salads, or for an extra boost of protein or a quick snack. I usually eat them as is or make deviled eggs. I do love a good egg salad and I had some veggies needing to be used up so that is how this recipe came to be.
I also had some ripe avocados on hand and had already made some guacamole earlier in the week and although I could easily eat guacamole every day, I figured that avocado egg salad was the next recipe to make.
How do you make avocado egg salad?
Hard Boiled Eggs - This recipe calls for only two but you can double or triple the recipe. Or you can save some hard boiled eggs for other recipes, meals since one tends to make more than two hard boiled eggs at a time. I love Simply Recipes for their no-fuss easy hard boiled egg technique. Easy to peel every time.
Avocado - I use very ripe Haas avocados, cut in half, remove the pit then scoop out and mash in the bowl.
Greek Yogurt - I use Greek Yogurt for the tangy flavor and more protein, you can use anything you like here yogurt, sour cream or mayonnaise or a combination of any of these. Up to you and what you like best.
Celery - a must have in egg, tuna, chicken salads. Love the texture and crunch.
Cucumber - I like using Japanese or Persian cucumbers here. I happened to have one so I diced it up for the salad. I don't even bother to peel them but you can if you like.
Spinach - I love adding finely chopped spinach to egg salad and it works so well here. Adds an extra boost of vitamins and minerals since spinach is so good for you. I use baby spinach since it has a more mild, sweet flavor.
Red Onion - love red onion in any kind of salad, it works great here.
Dijon Mustard - another must have in egg salad, if you don't care for mustard omit it or use yellow or another kind if you don't care for dijon.
Rice wine vinegar -adds some acid and a brightness to the egg salad.
Kosher salt and ground black pepper - the two basic seasonings I add, you can add other seasonings if you like.
Gorgeous, fresh ingredients.
I love the crunch that celery adds as well as the cucumber, and I am a fan of lots of red onion in any salad and the addition of the chopped spinach really makes me feel like I am eating super healthy. Makes me feel better about the cookies I eat after having an egg salad like this one.
Healthy fats from the avocado and extra protein from the Greek yogurt really makes this one of my favorite, quick to prepare healthy meals. Sometimes I add in diced dill pickle or diced red bell pepper. Depends on what I have on hand that I want to use, what I am feeling that day.
A few more notes about this avocado egg salad recipe first:
- The prep for this recipe assumes the eggs are already hard boiled. Adjust the prep time accordingly if making the hardboiled eggs first. You can hard boil the eggs a day ahead of time and keep in your refrigerator until ready to make this recipe.
- The vegetables in this recipe are what I like to use and happened to have on hand. You can adjust to anything you like. Sometimes I add in diced bell pepper, chopped canned artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, even some dill pickle relish is good.
- The recipe easily doubles or triples for lots of leftovers. Keep in an airtight container to keep super fresh. You can use the deli containers I love to use for recipes such as my tomatillo guacamole.
- Serve the avocado egg salad as is, over a bed of lettuce or make into sandwiches.
- 4 hardboiled eggs, peeled and chopped (see notes)
- 1 medium Haas avocado, diced
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt ( can use any fat % you like)
- 4-5 Tablespoons diced red onion
- 4 celery stalks, diced - about a half a cup
- 1 diced cucumber (Half a Japanese or two Persian cucumbers)
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1-2 Tablespsoons Dijon mustard (start with 1 Tbsp, taste and add more if you like)
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
Peel and chop the hard boiled eggs - use an egg slicer or a knife.
Cut the avocado in half, remove pit then scoop out into a mixing bowl. Mash slightly before adding remaining ingredients.
Stir well, mashing the egg and avocado as you go. You can mash it as much or as little as you like.
Taste and adjust mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper to your liking.
Always start with the lesser amount of ingredients and adjust taste with more if needed. Can be eaten alone, over a bed of spinach or even as a sandwich.
Prep time will be longer if you need to hard boil the eggs first. I suggest you make hardboiled eggs the day before making this so they are cooled and ready to peel and slice. If you do hardboil them the day of making this recipe please allow for additional time to boil and cool the eggs. Around an hour or so.
This doubles, triples or quadruples well and stores just fine sealed in an airtight container in a refrigerator. I use the smaller Persian cucumbers and usually use an entire one unpeeled. You can really add in anything you want, the combinations are endless with egg salad. I prefer mine really crunchy so I add in lots of crunchy veggies.
If you want to use mayonnaise instead of Greek Yogurt start with a few Tablespoons and adjust from there. You can also use sour cream or a mixture of any of the three.