I am super excited to share these Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies with you today. I adore chocolate and peppermint together in drinking form, and now in cookie form.
Being a food blogger definitely makes the holidays seem to happen sooner than they happen just as the stores have them up on display. I get that lots of bloggers want their holiday recipes published way ahead of time for people searching for them that are planning their holiday meals way in advance.
Thanksgiving recipes were made over the last two months and now its all about Christmas recipes. These peppermint hot chocolate cookies are definitely a perfect cookie for Christmas. Or when its cold out. Or on days that end it Y.
When I lived in Colorado and played snowboard bum I was always a fan of apres ski parties and peppermint hot chocolate was always my choice of beverage. Usually with peppermint schnapps and loads of whipped cream. It warmed me up and then some. These are pretty much the cookie version, without the schnapps.
I am a huge fan of Guittard chocolate and the milk chocolate chips are HUGE!! The Ande's peppermint chips melt just enough and aren't rock hard like candy cane pieces so they are perfect in cookies. And the peppermint hot chocolate mix from Silly Cow Farms is amazing. Seriously the best hot chocolate mix I have ever had and I was stoked World Market sells it. (Recipe is at end of this post)
These cookies are great for gift baskets during the holiday season. These baskets make for great teacher gifts. Something I will be doing every year for the amazing teachers that get to deal with I mean teach my kids.
- 1 cup butter ( 8 ounces, 2 sticks)
- 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ¾ c all purpose flour ( I use Arrowhead Mills Organic)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ c peppermint hot cocoa mix (Silly Cow Farms brand)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ c granulated sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
- ⅔ c light brown sugar ( I use organic)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 11/4 c Andes peppermint crunch baking chips, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 1 ¼ c Guittard milk chocolate chips