Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
I am sure there are probably several thousand recipes online for tomato soup and or creamy tomato soup, but that doesn't stop me from making up new versions every once in a while. I had a craving for it last week and I figured my kids would love it since they both eat cherry tomatoes like they are candy.
Tomato soup reminds me of cold rainy days as a kid, and of course you can't have it without a grilled cheese sandwich. Or at least some good crusty bread like a sourdough bread.
Most of the time when I make a soup like this I don't follow a recipe, or at least not one online or in a cookbook. I just throw stuff together, cook, puree, add more stuff, eat. I keep it pretty simple, especially on the days my husband works during dinner time so I have to keep my kids and dog entertained while trying to get dinner on the table. The dog has now joined in on that "witching hour" so I am cooking dinner, keeping the kids from fighting and taking toys away from the dog that he isn't supposed to have. He is getting better, but he is still a pup and loves to chew. Soup is a recipe that can be somewhat hands off so I can go chasing around my house after my kids and dog and not worry about burning it.
When I made this last week I made grilled cheese sandwiches to go with. My kids were a little confused since we usually do a grilled cheese for lunch once in a while and never at dinner. They then realized that they really liked this idea. I grilled up a few sandwiches, cut into squares piled it all onto a plate in the middle of the table. They thought it was cool to grab a square and dunk in the soup. My 4 year old even asked for seconds on soup. I would say it was a soup success.
Even though it isn't quite fall weather yet here in Vegas, its supposed to be 85 today, I have been craving fall soups. I blame everyone else in the country in food blog land that have been making and blogging awesome soups the past few weeks. I am one of those weirdos that can eat hot soup in hot weather and iced coffee in cold weather. So while everyone else is bundled up in jeans and sweaters eating their soups, I am still in shorts, tanks, flip flops and eating soup outside on my patio. Whatever works, right?
Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 2-3 Leeks white and light green part only, rinsed and diced ( about 1 ½ c)
- 4 large cloves of garlic minced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and diced ( about a cup)
- 3 stalks celery diced ( about a cup)
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 2 26 ounce containers of Pomi San Marzano chopped tomatoes
- ½ c organic tomato paste
- 3 C organic chicken broth
- 1 C heavy cream or full fat coconut milk
- In a large dutch oven over medium high heat melt the butter ( or oil) and sauté the onion and leeks until translucent and starting to brown. Add in the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute then add in the carrots, and celery. Sauté for another 5 min until the carrots and celery have softened. Stir in the spices quickly then add in the chopped tomatoes, paste and broth. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Puree the soup with either an immersion blender or in a regular blender and pureeing in batches until the soup is smooth. Stir in the cream ( or coconut milk) well and taste. Season with more salt, pepper or chile flakes if desired.
- Serve hot, preferably with grilled cheese sandwiches.