Fresh Pineapple, Avocado and Pea Shoot Salad
I am a huge fan of spring and summer because that means more salads for meals and I am a huge fan of a salad. Big or small, I love salad. Myself and 5 other bloggers teamed up to bring you some fun healthy recipes.
Normally when I make salads I make HUGE salads. At least 5-6 cups of lettuce plus all the other fun add ins. This time I decided to go for something different and not pile on the lettuce, but thin slices of fruits and veggies.
I wanted a nice variety of flavors, textures and color in this salad. Sweet pineapple, creamy avocado, spicy peppers, thin red onion, my favorite - pea shoots and I forgot to add the tomatoes to this pic! Oops!
One fun thing about making salads is I get to use my GIANT fancy Japanese knife my husband got me for Christmas. I feel like a samurai when I am using that thing. I think my husband likes the knife because he can practice his knife sharpening skills. When we were first dating he impressed me with how well he kept his knives and he sharpened them on a regular basis. He's a fantastic cook by the way, and I will be featuring some of his recipes soon.
When Kitchen IQ sent me a few gadgets to try out, my husband was most excited about the knife sharpeners. We got to try out a few, and for my fancy knife the preferred sharpening method is the stone. It gets my knife so super sharp so I can chop red onion slices so thin you can see through them. Now that is thin!
I love adding in crunchy items like nuts and seeds and I am pretty sure I could eat my bodyweight in salted sunflower seeds if given the chance. So I usually eat a generous handful as I am making my salads and I still sprinkle some on the salad. No selenium deficiencies for me.
2. Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake - Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables
3. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic - Farro with Dried Cranberries and Pistachios
Fresh Pineapple Avocado and Pea Shoot Salad #HealthySpring #KitchenIQ #Giveaway
- 1 medium pineapple peeled, cored and sliced into thin circles then quartered
- 3 avocados thinly sliced
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes quartered
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 8 tablespoon roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup fresh pea shoots
- 1-2 serrano pepper stem, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 4 tablespoon Avocado oil. Or olive oil
- 4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Arrange the pineapple slices on 4 plates, top with the remaining ingredients up to the peppers. Drizzle each salad with one tablespoon of avocado oil each and then one teaspoon of lemon juice each. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Add more diced peppers if desired. Serve immediately.
Yay for spring and healthy fresh produce to make lots of fun salads and other light recipes!
Thanks to Kitchen IQ for sponsoring this post. I received some kitchen IQ Products for review, and no other compensation. All opinions are my own.