Happy National Blueberry Pancake day!!! I am helping Driscoll's celebrate this fabulous food holiday with my Gluten Free Meyer Lemon and Blueberry Pancakes.
If I HAD to choose one food I could eat for the rest of my life, it would be breakfast. Yeah ok so that isn't ONE food, but a category. But still. Breakfast is awesome. Especially when pancakes are involved.
There are so many two food combinations in culinary world that work so well together; peanut butter and chocolate, bourbon and salted caramel, coffee and kahlua, pineapple and coconut, eggs and bacon, lemons and blueberries, I could go on and on. This combo is so good for so many reasons. Regular lemons and blueberries are good, but meyer lemons and blueberries? AHhhhhhhhmazing. I have made muffins with this combo, a layer cake, and now these pancakes. By far the best pancakes I have made yet.
First off. These are gluten free. I used my own personal AP gluten free blend. You can find that recipe HERE. I have had so much success with this blend in many recipes that I am now confident enough to venture into using it in puff pastry and yeasted breads like pizza dough and sandwich bread. I have high hopes for those recipes. This substitutes exactly cup-for-cup with regular all purpose flour.
It's really hard to tell that these aren't regular wheat flour. I mean just LOOK at how fat these pancakes are. Sooooo fluffy! And if you aren't gluten free, you can sub in regular all purpose flour and they work just as great.
Secondly, these are super high protein. Whole eggs and egg whites, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. So they are delicious and good for you. And not only are they FULL of huge, fresh blueberries, there is Meyer lemon zest and juice in the pancake batter and sauce as well. I love Meyer lemons so much we decided to grow a couple trees in our yard this year.
And the sauce? So simple and good. Honey is my secret ingredient to sweeten the sauce, only a little bit since it really doesn't need it. Just enhances it. This sauce is also so good on ice cream and yogurt. Or just on a spoon.
Gluten Free Meyer Lemon and Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free AP flour can substitute regular AP flour
- 3 tablespoon coconut sugar or any sugar you like
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole milk cottage cheese
- ¾ cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 whole large eggs
- ⅓ cup meyer lemon juice or regular lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups 8 oz or 1 ½ packages fresh Driscoll's blueberries
- 2 tablespoon meyer lemon zest divided
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries not thawed ( you can use fresh, then freeze so you get more juice out of them)
- Zest and juice of one meyer lemon
- 2 teaspoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ¼ c water
- In a blender combine the egg whites and eggs, cottage cheese, meyer lemon juice and yogurt blend well. In a large bowl whisk together the flour through salt. Pour in the egg mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture, add vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of zest and stir well until thoroughly combined. Let sit for 5-10 min.
- While the batter is resting make the blueberry sauce. In a small saucepan combine the blueberries, water, honey and zest. Heat over low, until the blueberries start to thaw and release juices, stirring a few times. Once it starts to simmer combine the lemon juice and arrowroot (or corn starch) in a small bowl and add to the simmering blueberries. Stir until the sauce is thickened. Keep warm.
- Make the pancakes. Preheat a griddle or pan, and melt some butter on it. Fold the fresh blueberries into the batter and scoop out ¼-⅓ c batter ( depending on how big you want the pancakes. ) cook a few minutes and then flip and cook a few min more. You can keep the pancakes warm on a baking sheet in a 200 deg oven or just serve immediately. Top with sauce and more zest.
Take a bite...you know you want to!! For more Blueberry Pancake recipes and ideas visit Driscoll's Website HERE. They all look so good!!