Honey Chipotle Roasted Carrots. Sweet, spicy and perfect for the holidays.
I fully believe that side dishes are where it's at during Thanksgiving and my Honey Apricot Chipotle Roasted Carrots are sure to be a hit at any holiday table. A sweet and spicy hit that is.
I saw an article the other day about a Thanksgiving meal that was side dishes only. I loved the idea because the largest number of recipes online are Thanksgiving sides dishes. I think that would be so fun, drinks, side dishes and dessert for a non-traditional Thanksgiving meal. I am all for non-traditional holidays.
I used multi color heirloom carrots for this recipe. I love the different colors of these carrots, they have a very "fall" look to them. My daughters are huge carrot fans and we had a blind taste test the other day to see if they could tell the difference. They guessed orange for the purple, purple for the orange, and kept going back and forth between orange and purple for the yellow. It was pretty funny.
Thanksgiving tends to be an indulgent meal, one that takes days and even weeks to prepare and cook for. I am all for keeping things simple, fresh and as healthy as possible. Lots of healthy vegetable dishes to balance out the pie piled with whipped cream. Roasted carrots is a highly underrated recipe.
They are so versatile, they are gorgeous with the stems still on and the flavor combinations with seasonings and sauces is endless. I love a mixture of sweet and heat with carrots. I went with a glaze of honey and apricot jam mixed with chipotle pepper.
I added just enough for a nice spicy kick at the end and now so overpowering with heat that you end up drinking too much eggnog to cool off your mouth and then have no more room for the rest of your meal.
Honey Chipotle Roasted Carrots
- 2 lbs thin carrots with stems
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- ¼ cup apricot Jam I used St. Dalfour thick apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Preheat oven to 400 Deg F. Line a large baking sheet with foul, lightly spray or brush with olive oil.
- Wash and peel carrots and trim tops to 2”. Any carrots that are extra thick slice in half longways, including stem. In a small bowl combine the honey and jam and microwave about 30 seconds to liquefy. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour or brush over the carrots, making sure they are coated well.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes. Less if the carrots are thin, more if thicker. Turn 2-3 times while roasting. Remove from oven and sprinkle with a little more basil. Keep warm until ready to serve. Best when served immediately.