It is Taco Tuesday!! And these Mango Coconut Chicken Tacos with Thai Lime Rice and Pale Ale Tortillas is the perfect meal for it.
These tacos are a fusion of Thai meets Mexican meets Hawaiian meets absolute deliciousness. My kind of fusion food.
Pair with some Kona Brewing Co Fire Rock Pale ale and you have a perfect taco Tuesday meal.
Kona Brewing Co. pale ale perfect to sip with these tacos, its also in the tortillas! It is so easy to make homemade tortillas with just a few simple ingredients and a tortilla press. I love the subtle flavor the pale ale adds to the tortillas and my husband was stoked to have beer tortillas since pale ale is his favorite beer to drink. I can tell you how excited he was to have pale ale tortillas and pale ale to drink. Doesn't take much to make him happy, makes it easy for me to shop for him for his birthday!
Marinade the chicken for at least 4 hours.
The longer the better. I usually start this recipe the night before so the chicken marinates overnight for extra flavor.
Mango Coconut Chicken Tacos with Pale Ale Tortillas
For the Mango Coconut marinade:
- 2 cups cubed mango fresh or thawed if using frozen
- 1 cup coconut milk
- juice and zest of one lime
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Chicken:
- 1 ½ Lb chicken breasts thighs would work great too
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup mango coconut marinade
For the Tortillas:
- 2 Cups Masa flour plus ¼ c if needed
- 1- 12 ounce IPA Kona Brewing Co Fire Rock Pale Ale
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Cilantro chopped
- 1-2 large Avocados sliced
- Limes sliced
- Hot Sauce
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Kona Brew Co Fire Rock Pale Ale
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a blender. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound to ¾” thick with a meat mallet. Season with salt and pepper then place in a container and add one and a half cup of Mango Coconut Marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for four hours up to overnight.
- While the chicken is marinating make the tortillas.
- Combine the masa, beer and salt in a bowl and mix with your hands until the dough comes together. The dough should be soft and not too sticky. If too wet add a little more masa, up to ¼ c, if too dry add a little more water or beer. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 min. Form into 16 balls, about golf ball sized. Preheat a cast iron griddle or skillet, but keep dry. Do not add oil or butter. Working with one dough ball at a time, place plastic wrap over the top and bottom of the tortilla press, place one dough ball in the middle and gently press down. Carefully transfer the tortilla to the preheated cast iron pan, peeling away the plastic wrap just as you place on the surface of the pan/griddle. Cook for 1 minute a side, carefully flipping after one minute. Keep warm in a towel as you make and cook the rest of the tortillas .
- Preheat grill to 350 Deg F. Grill the chicken, about 7-8 minutes a side, turning once as you grill and basting once with more marinade towards the end of grilling. Remove from grill and let the chicken rest 5 minutes. Slice into ½ inch thick strips and add another ½ cup or so of marinade. Keep warm until ready to serve.
To assemble the tacos:
- Place a few strips of chicken on the middle of a tortilla, add a few avocado slices, a few sprigs of chopped cliantro and top with a little more Mango Coconut marinade and hot sauce, such as Cholula or Tabasco, if desired, and a squeeze of lime. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken. Serve tacos and rice immediately. Enjoy with a cold Kona Brew Co. Fire Rock Pale Ale.