Hearty White Turkey Kale Chili is a healthy and delicious way to use up leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Did you all have a great Thanksgiving holiday? Eat way too much? Not enough? Sick of all things turkey yet? Or still loving all the leftovers and things you can make with leftovers this white turkey kale chili?
We had a great Thanksgiving. Got to go to my parents house for the first time in for-eh-ver for the holiday. Since we live relatively closer now we get to see them more often which is great. So this was fun to have a little 4 day mini vacay to relax and cook and EAT!! Like I said before; going out of town meant no leftovers at home and so I roasted a turkey breast just to make "leftovers" and I froze half the turkey I roasted for a couple recipes I had planned, this being one of them.
I wanted to make a white chili since I love white chicken chili and wanted to healthify it a little more with adding kale for a light meal at the end of a somewhat gluttonous weekend. I actually wasn't that bad. I am not a HUGE Thanksgiving foods lover so I didn't pig out but I did eat most of my mom's cranberry chutney though. Sorrynotsorry.
I love soups, chilis etc. I somewhat winged it with this white turkey kale chili recipe too, and it came out better than I had hoped. Started out with a recipe I make for chicken chili and tortilla soup, but not really the exact same. I used my beloved Le Crueset ( mom that's pronounced LAY CREW-SAY, says me ha ha) dutch oven/French oven pot.
Its my workhorse pot. I really want another one or two even but they are pricey and dang Le Crueset doesn't make my color anymore. Kiwi green. So I may start collecting Caribbean blue or something else along those lines. I just love their pots and pans, ( hoping Santa reads my blog here) they really make the best pots for soups and chilis. Which I make a lot of year round. And I will be making this recipe more often for sure.
Cheese always makes chili better.
So if you're not sick of leftovers - yet- and want to try something healthy and hearty try out this white turkey kale chili I made. It's a perfect Sunday supper meal or even great for a "meatless" Monday if you're out of leftover turkey or just want a break from Thanksgiving food. Chicken can also be substituted for the turkey as well.
White Turkey Kale Chili
- 2 tablespoon oil coconut, sunflower, grape seed
- 1 small white onion diced ( about half a cup)
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 15 ounce can of white beans such as cannellini or great northern
- 1 4 ounce can of diced fire roasted green chilies
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½-1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale washed, trimmed from stalk and roughly chopped ( about 3 cups)
- 1 15 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Juice of one lime about a tablespoon
- 2 cups cooked shredded turkey (white and dark meat, or just white)
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ½-⅔ cup shredded jack cheese
- In a large pot sauté onion for 3-4 min. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the beans, chilies and spices and stir until beans are heated another 2-3 min.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and lime juice. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium low.
- Add the kale and simmer until kale starts to wilt. About 10-15 min.
- Add in the turkey and cook another 3-5 min to heat the turkey. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro and cheese. Enjoy!