Meat and Potatoes. Man food at its finest. Whiskey too.
I teamed up with Cost Plus World Market to create a recipe that all ( or most) father’s would love to eat on Father’s Day on behalf of their Father’s Day Sweepstakes, Celebrate Dad. See HERE For more details
Meat, potatoes and whiskey. Simple, easy to make, yet full of flavor and hearty enough to satisfy any man’s appetite.
I had asked my husband what would an ideal Father’s Day meal be for him. And at first he just said whiskey. Which would be easy enough, but since World Market doesn’t carry hard liquor I needed a little more from him. So he said ” why not a meat and potatoes crock pot meal?” and I actually asked him for a recipe believe it or not. See – I am not a meat and potatoes girl. Potatoes sure, but I don’t eat red meat. Haven’t for years and years. He does eat it. And he even bought a share of a cow last year. We believe in eating good quality meat and he found a local farm to buy part of a grass fed organic cow. He said the flavor is amazing. So I wanted to make a recipe that would be simple enough that I could make and not mess it up.
Also being that is is June and in Vegas that means 100 deg weather. That doesn’t exactly make me want to hang outside and grill. The crock pot is my go-to throughout the year for easy no fuss meals.
I was originally considering a BBQ meal since World Market has a ton of BBQ items, but I wanted to do something different. And with the recipe my husband mentioned I knew that one of my fave items at World Market would be in it. Pomi Tomatoes
I LOVE Pomi tomatoes. Such an amazing flavor.
I am a HUGE fan of World Market’s spices. They are one of the few places that I have ever found one of our favorite chili powders, ancho chili. My husband is a big fan of ancho chili so I knew that I had to include it. We never even knew what it was until watching food network Iron Chef and it seemed it was all Bobby Flay used. So we knew it would be a good spice to use since we are fans of his.
On to the recipe now. Start with layering the quartered red potatoes. I used smallish ones – each about the size of a lemon
Then the yummy Pomi tomatoes and fresh garlic. You could also use roasted garlic if you wanted or even garlic powder.
And then the roast and the seasonings. You can always start with a minimum amount of seasonings and taste when the roast is near done and add more if you want. I think seasoning amounts are more like a suggestion than an exact amount.
You might be wondering what the heck is in that whiskey glass. Doesn’t really look like ice..
Remember these totally cool Soapstone rocks from my post about the World Market Father’s Day Sweepstakes?
I had to get some for my husband for his Father’s day gift. Shhhhh don’t tell him I already used them as a prop for my blog. These are WAY cool ( pun intended). Just freeze and add to your drink. They keep your drink cool without watering it down. Plus rocks in a drink? So totally “Manly”.
So there you have it. Meat. Potatoes. Whiskey. Man Food. A perfect easy to make Father’s Day Meal.
- 2 ½-3 lbs grass fed beed round roast or bone in chuck roast
- 1 carton pomi tomatoes ( World Market)
- 2 tbsp good quality whiskey, I used Maker’s Mark
- Garlic – 3 cloves minced
- 10 small red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1-2 tsp himalayan sea salt ( World Market)
- 2-3 tsp ancho chili powder (World Market)
- 2-3tsp oregano (World Market)
- 1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 tbsp fresh chives ( optional)
- In a crock pot place the quartered potatoes in an even layer. Pour the pomi tomatoes over the potatoes and sprinkle the minced garlic on top of the tomatoes. Place the roast on top of the tomatoes, pour the whiskey over the roast and sprinkle the spices evenly over the top. Place the lid on the crock pot and set on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 or until the meat is tender and the potatoes are fork tender. Every hour or so turn the meat over and spoon some of the tomato sauce on top of it. If you have a tougher roast you can remove it and dice into large chunks and cook for a little bit longer or if the roast is more tender you can fork shred it in the crock pot. Serve the meat with some of the potatoes and spoon the tomato sauce from the pot over the meat and potatoes. Garnish with fresh chives if desired. Serve with a glass of whiskey.
So go ahead honey, prop your feet up, take a rest. I got your meal covered this year for Father’s Day. You’re one of the hardest working guys I know and you deserve a day off…
This post was sponsored by World Market. I was compensated for my time and for the ingredients. All opinions are my own and I never work with a brand I don’t believe in. This post is on behalf of the World Market Father’s Day Sweepstakes #Celebratedad There is still time left to enter HERE
World Market Items (Non Food) seen in this post are
(Please do not copy or pin the collage picture of my family. It is intended for this blog post only and not to be shared elsewhere. Thank you)