Dutch Banketstaaf or Dutch Christmas Log Pastry. A traditional Christmas breakfast treat from the Netherlands.
Flaky pastry, a citrusy marzipan filling with an apricot glaze and dusting of powdered sugar. These are delicious and so easy to make.
I love recipes like this Dutch treat that can be made quickly with store bought ingredients for a very fancy and delicious treat. You could knock yourself out and make puff pastry, marzipan and apricot jam from scratch or go the simple way and use all store-bought items. I love making recipes from scratch but sometimes, especially during busy holiday seasons I am all for a few shortcuts here and there.
Ingredients for Dutch Banketsaff:
- Puff pastry - I use square storebought puff pastry, rolled out to a rectangle. Round would also work
- Marizpan - or almond paste
- Orange and lemon zest
- confectioners sugar
- apricot jam
- vanilla sugar
How to make the pastry:
- Combine the filling mixture, wrap in plastic wrap to roll into a log shape then chill
- Thaw the puff pastry then roll it out gently to make into a rectangle
- Assemble and bake
You can make the filling ahead of time and freeze, then thaw in the refrigerator before baking to save even more time.
Puff pastry is a great staple item to have on hand at all times to whip up a quick recipe such as this one. I always keep a package of puff pastry in my freezer.
This really is a wonderful Dutch treat that can be enjoyed year round, not just at Christmastime. Easy to make, and so very delicious. Serve with hot coffee for a tasty breakfast treat.
Other Puff Pastry Recipes you might also enjoy:
Dutch Banketstaaf (Dutch Christmas Log Pastry) Recipe:
Dutch Banketstaaf ( Dutch Christmas Log Pastry)
- 2 Rolls of puff pastry thawed ( 9x10 inch sheets)
- 454 g ready to bake Marzipan (almond paste) (1 pound)
- 141 g confectioners sugar (5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 teaspoon Orange zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- 4 Tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 packets vanilla sugar
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting
Make the filling:
- In a mixing bowl combine the marzipan, powdered sugar, lemon and orange zests, extract, 1 packet of vanilla sugar and 1 tablespoon of the egg. Mix well to combine and divide in half. Place each half on plastic wrap and roll into a 9” long log. Chill at least one hour. Can be made up to a week ahead of time. Whisk the remaining egg with the water.
- When ready to assemble and bake, preheat oven to 400 Def. F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Working with one sheet of puff pastry at a time, keep it on the parchment paper it comes with and lightly flour the top. Roll out to about 11” long. Place one of the filling logs in the middle and brush either side of the pastry with egg wash. Roll up the puff pastry and tuck the sides in, place seam side down on one side of the baking sheet. Repeat with other puff pastry and filling log. Brush the tops with the egg wash, sprinkle the tops with sliced almonds and sprinkle vanilla sugar over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until very golden and the puff pastry is cooked. If the tops are starting to look too brown, cover with foil until finished baking. Remove from oven and brush the apricot jam over the tops. Let cool 10 minutes before dusting the tops with powdered sugar. Slice into 1 ½” thick pieces and serve warm with hot coffee.