Frozen Hot Chocolate and Coconut Snowball truffles
Do you want to build a snowman? That song, plus many others from the movie Frozen, have been sung or played in my house every day since we first saw the movie at the beginning of December last year. To say we love the movie Frozen is an understatement. Frozen Hot Chocolate AND White Chocolate Coconut SnowBall Truffles are the perfect desserts for a Frozen movie oscar party.
I have two daughters so the fact that the movie is about sisters makes it that much more special to us. My 3 year old got the Anna doll for Christmas and my 5 year old got Elsa, and they are all inseparable. They both got a GIANT Olaf, who is my favorite from the film. Both of these recipes are perfect for a Frozen Movie Oscar Party. This post is sponsored by Cost Plus World Market
My husband and I used to go to see movies in the theater a lot before we had kids and the last movie we saw together was Dark Knight when I was pregnant with our first daughter. It was one of those " hey lets go to the movies when you are due in three days and hopefully you don't go into labor at the theater" nights out and luckily that didn't happen. But dang sitting in a movie theater when 40 years pregnant is NOT comfortable. Even with the bigger seats and more legroom. Maybe that is why we pretty much stopped going. I also wanted to make sure my kids were old enough for their first movie to be able to sit and enjoy it.
Frozen is the very first movie we have taken our kids to. It was the 3D version and my kids were hysterical wearing their 3D glasses and, to my surprise, they sat relatively still throughout the entire movie. I was thinking they weren't going to last more than 20 minutes. The movie was wonderful, lots of fun surprises and twists and Olaf stole the show with all the funny things he said. Looking at the list of movies nominated for the Oscars that are just one week away, I realized Frozen is the only one I have seen. What can I say? Disney rules the house when it comes to movie viewing around here. That and apparently my husband and I like to go to movies once every 6 years.... For this fun Frozen Oscar party I thought it would be fun to have some sweet treats that both kids and adults would like, White Chocolate Coconut Snowball Truffles AND Frozen Hot Chocolate. Of course there will be popcorn at our party, but my kids are like me they like it just lightly salted, so no fancy popcorn recipe today. Just the truffles and frozen hot chocolate.
These truffles were tricky to make. White chocolate is softer than semi sweet or dark so making a ganache to make the truffles from took a little longer. The trick to these was freezing in between each step. I am a bonafide coconut lover and I loved just how coconutty they came out. They look just like snowballs too! I bet I could build a snowman out of them.
Being that it is winter and all, hot chocolate hits the spot for many these days, however living in Las Vegas it is already shorts weather!! So I discussed recipe ideas for this post with my kids and they thought frozen hot chocolate was a neat idea. I still have yet to make it to Serendipity where this drink was first created, so I will have to one of these days to try it and see how my version stacks up against theirs.
Frozen hot chocolate isn't quite the same as a chocolate shake or smoothie, its made with hot chocolate mix and I used dark chocolate for an extra boost of that chocolatey flavor. I adore hot chocolate when it is chilly out and when I first found this amazing Silly Cow brand of hot chocolate mix at Cost Plus World Market when I used the peppermint version for cookies late last year, I knew I had to use the mix for these frozen hot chocolate drinks. My girls were also all about adding huge swirls of wipped cream and of course chocolate shavings. This is a decadent treat - perfect for a movie night!
So when you are watching the Oscars this year and if you are like me and have only seen Frozen, then these snacks will be perfect for your Oscar Party! Its fun to have movie themed treats for the party and I think any party with coconut snowball truffles and frozen hot chocolate is a party I want to be at!
White Chocolate Coconut Snowball Truffles
- 8 ounces Lindt White Chocolate chopped
- 8 ounces Lindt Coconut White Chocolate chopped
- ½ c full fat canned coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut flakes
- In bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, or a double boiler, combine the chocolates, coconut milk and salt and stir very slowly until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thoroughly combined. Once fully combined remove from the heat and stir in the butter until its fully mixed in. Transfer to a bowl and chill until firm, either in the refrigerator for several hours or the freezer.
- Prepare a baking sheet with wax paper. Fill a bowl with a cup of the shredded coconut Scoop out scant tablespoon sized balls of the chocolate mixture and roll into a ball in your hands. Roll the balls one at a time in the shredded coconut and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat until all the chocolate mixture is in balls and freeze until firm
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 4 ounces chocolate dark, semisweet, bittersweet, chopped ( I used Lindt 70%
- 2 tablespoon hot chocolate mix (I used Silly Cow Farms Chocolate Truffle
- 2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk divided
- 2-3 cups ice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- chocolate shavings
- In a small saucepan combine the chocolate, hot chocolate mix, cocoa powder and ¾ c of the milk. Whisk over medium heat until the chocolate is melted and everything is well combined. Let cool completely. Once cool combine the chocolate mixture with the remaining cup of milk to a blender with 2 cups of ice. Blend well and add more ice if desired. Divide amongst cups. Combine the heavy cream and powdered sugar and whip with a hand mixer until stiff peaks. Top the drinks with the whipped cream and sprinkle chocolate shavings on top. Serve immediately
Items seen in the photos in this post that can be purchased at Cost Plus World Market are as follows:
Mercury Glass Demitasse Spoons