Margaritas. On the rocks?
This was the question I asked on my facebook page the other day and I loved everyone’s responses especially “IV”. I joked that’s how I drink coffee. Or at least would like to. So with everyone’s responses being split between frozen and on the rocks I decided to make this coconut lemongrass margarita both on the rocks and frozen. One of my better decisions for sure.
The other day I was scrolling through pics on instagram and saw someone mention coconut tequila. WHAT?!?! I needed ASAP. I immediately texted my hubs while he was at work to pick me up a bottle on the way home
Silver tequila? yum. Infused with natural coconut?!? Its like they KNOW ME and made this just for me. Muchas Gracias 1800 Coconut!!! I knew I wanted to make margaritas and when I was reading my friend Kristen’s post on her fabulous blog, Dine and Dish last week for her lemongrass strawberry daquiri (um yum!!) I wanted to use the lemongrass simple syrup she made for my margaritas. So thank you Kristen for making it!!! The Lemongrass paste is from Gourmet Gardens, made with organic ingredients ( you know I like that) and can be found at many grocery stores in the produce sections. They also have other pastes like basil and ginger. (Oh yes these gave given me more future cocktail ideas)
I used coconut water for the on the rocks margaritas
And used coconut milk for the frozen ones. Both came out better than I had expected. I love when that happens.
My hubs sampled and said ” if people make these, they will love them” Yes, but do YOU love them?!?. I had to call in back up for additional taste testing. So my good friend Emily came over.
“HOLY %%&@*@#%$&#(!!!!!!! these are some damn good Margaritas. Wow. Just wow” Said Emily. I love my friends. Especially ones willing to taste test my recipes. I agree with her. These are the best margaritas I have ever had/made. I am more of an on the rocks with salt kind of gal but I really liked these blended ones too. So for this match up? Its a tie.
- ½ c 1800 Coconut Tequila
- ⅓ c ounce triple sec
- 2 tbsp lemongrass simple syrup
- ¼ c ounces coconut water
- Juice from half of a lime
- For rimming glasses
- 1 tbsp lemongrass simple syrup***
- Unsweetened shredded coconut (toasted if making blended margaritas)
- Rim the glasses in lemongrass simple syrup and then dip in the shredded coconut. Fill glasses with ice.
- In a shaker glass filled with ice add the rest of the ingredients and shake well, strain and divide between glasses. Serve immediately.
- For Blended sub ½ c canned coconut milk for the coconut water:
- Chill glasses while making the drink
- Add the following to the blender along with the rest of the drink ingredients:
- -2 cups ice
- Rim glasses in lemongrass simple syrup and shredded coconut. Divide blended mixture between glasses. Enjoy!!!
- ***Lemongrass Simple Syrup (recipe courtesy of Dine and Dish)
- ¾ c water
- ¾ c organic sugar
- tbsp Gourmet Garden Lemongrass Paste
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, once boiling remove from the heat and stir in the lemongrass paste until well mixed. Transfer to a glass jar ( small mason jar works well) and chill until ready to use. Shake well before using.
MMM on the rocks. I posted a pic on instagram and my friend Brandy from the blog Nutmeg Nanny said ” That’s one heck of a salted rim!” to which I replied ” Its coconut!” she said ” GAH! Even better!” I love my food blogging friends!
Make these. You will love. Trust me on this one.