Healthy Greenya Colada Smoothie. Like a Piña Colada, but healthier and green. And non-alcoholic.
Today is my birthday and I am sharing my favorite healthy "Greenya Colada" smoothie recipe. Don't worry, I will probably drink a boozy pina colada later because, balance.
I am a smoothie fanatics. I got a vitamix a few years ago and I truly use it several times a day. It earns its keep in my house.
Green monster smoothies have been very popular as of late, and although they look a little scary like a monster, they are anything but. My favorite "green" addition to smoothies is baby spinach. I have tried kale before and its a touch too strong for me. I also have tried making kale chips and, well, um, lets just say I am not a fan. But I LOVE sauteed kale.
And I love smoothies. If I whip one up post workout I will add in some protein powder. On days I make smoothies in the afternoon I try to make extra and either share with my kids, who think green smoothies are awesome, or I fill up our popsicle molds with the leftover.
I call this a Greenya Colada since its my version of a non-alcoholic Pina Colada with greens added. I know, SO original right?
I started out taking pics of the smoothies on my patio, my kids were playing in their pool and it was a really nice day out. Until my 4 year old decided to turn on the hose and spray me. So back inside I went. with my smoothie.
Healthy Green-ya Colada Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut water
- 1 ½ cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 3-4 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Honey optional
- Pineapple slices and coconut flakes for garnish
- Combine the coconut milk and water, then spinach and then frozen pineapple on top.
- Blend on medium until spinach is starting to puree and then while blender is on slowly pour in coconut oil.
- Once added, blend on high. Taste and add ice and honey if desired for a thicker more sweeter shake.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes on top and a slice of pineapple for garnish
You can also add rum to these. Its good. So I have heard... ( pssttt coconut rum makes them awesome)