I love hot chocolate in the wintertime especially coconut hot chocolate. As soon as it dips below a freezing 60º fahrenheit I am pulling on the fuzzy pajama pants, cranking up the heat and making hot chocolate for myself and my kids. Ok well maybe not 60, but definitely 50º. I am weak, I hate being cold and yes anything under 60º is cold to me.
My husband used to tease me for getting cold when it was 60º out and I explained to him that it's a California thing. We need to be kept in 70-90º weather at all times. Below 70º it starts to get too cold, over 90º too hot for some.
That was until we moved to Las Vegas and I decided I am a desert tortoise because I love the heat here. No clue how I ever lived at a ski resort town in Colorado. I think I wore all the clothes I owned all at once. ha ha ha.
When we lived in Vail, Colorado we definitely drank a lot of hot chocolate. When we lived in Portland, Oregon we drank a lot there during wintertime as well. I made a lot of homemade coconut hot chocolate, I much prefer homemade to the instant hot chocolate packets you can get in the store. I also prefer making it by melting pieces of chocolate rather than using cocoa powder as well like I have for this recipe for Hawaiian Mocha Coconut Hot Chocolate.
Also when we lived in Portland, Oregon my husband and I would go snowboarding at Mt. Hood on our days off in the wintertime. This was before kids like a gazillion years ago. We would always go Après ski at the Mt. Hood brewery in Government Camp before we headed back home. I LOVED their après ski drinks especially their giant mug of hot chocolate. Practically a bowl. It was amazing, super rich and delicious. It was topped with a ton of whipped cream and covered in chocolate shavings, toffee bits, and more. This is where I got the idea for the garnish for my Hawaiian Mocha Coconut Hot Chocolate.
For these delicious Hawaiian mocha coconut hot chocolates I topped them with chopped roasted macadamia nuts, lightly toasted shredded coconut and dark and milk chocolate shavings. Shaving chocolate is super easy, just warm a bar slightly with your hand and use a vegetable peeler along one edge. I do this over a plate since it tends to make a mess. Then I pop the plate in the freezer to firm them back up since they tend to melt super quick.
I am a big fan of coffee and chocolate together so for these coconut hot chocolates I added in my FAVE Koloa Kaua'i Coffee rum as well as freshly brewed Kona coffee. For an extra hit of coconut besides the coconut milk you can also add in a little Koloa Kaua'i Coconut Rum.
You can omit the rums to make them non-alcoholic, just make a little more of the coconut hot chocolate mix or add in more coffee to fill the mug!
I use coconut milk for these drinks since I am non-dairy, or at least try to be, and I love coconut milk in hot chocolate. I use the carton kind (from the grocery store section of all the carton non-dairy milks are) instead of the canned kind. It's more homogenous and lower in fat. I prefer using canned in baking and cooking.
Boozy Hawaiian Mocha Coconut Hot Chocolate
- 4 ounces good quality chocolate bar dark 65-75%, or milk roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar can add more if a sweeter drink is desired
- 12 ounces coconut milk beverage carton not can
- 6 ounces freshly brewed hot coffee
- 3 ounces Koloa Coffee Rum
- Optional : 1 ounce of Koloa Coconut Rum ½ ounce per drink
- Whipped cream
- Lightly toasted coconut shavings
- Finely chopped macadamia nuts
- Chocolate shavings
- Combine the chopped chocolate, brown sugar and coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour one and a half ounces ( shot glass/jigger size) of the Koloa Coffee Rum into a large ceramic or glass cup or mug then top with 3 ounces of hot coffee. Stir then top with half of the coconut milk mixture stirring well to combine. Repeat with other mug/cup.
- Quickly top with a generous amount of whipped cream, a sprinkle of toasted coconut, chopped mac nuts and chocolate shavings. Sip and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy my Boozy Hawaiian Mocha Coconut Hot Chocolate! Have a wonderful holiday weekend! Merry Christmas and Mele Kalikimaka!